The law protects the relationship between a client and a psychotherapist, and client information cannot be disclosed without the written permission of said client.
- Suspected child, dependent adult, or elder abuse, for which I am required by law to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person, I must notify the police and inform the person who's life is in danger.
- If a client intends to harm him/herself, I will try my best to ensure his/her safety and cooperation. If I cannot, I will have to take legal action to ensure the client's safety by contacting the appropriate authorities.
- If court action has been taken against a client, and I am subpeanoed, I will have to devulge limited information.
- If my client is a minor, I must give limited information to the child's guardian.
In all instances, I will take every measure to ensure that as much of my clients' information is kept as private and confidential as as possible.